How to Obtain administrative record in Valencia as a Foreign Student

¿How to register on the administrative record of inhabitants in Valencia as a foreign student?

Valencia is an attractive city for foreign students who seek to study and live in a cultural and academic environment. With its great offer of universities and high-quality study programs, as well as a large international student community, it is easy to adapt and make friends. However, to enjoy everything that Valencia has to offer, it is necessary to register on the administrative record of inhabitants of the city. In this article, we will provide information on the requirements and process to register in Valencia as a foreign student.

¿When do I need to register?

If you plan to stay more than 6 months in Valencia, you need to register on the administrative record of inhabitants (both for EU citizens and non-EU foreigners).

You will need the administrative record in different situations:

  • Applying for or renewing your Foreigner Identification Number (TIE) for non-EU citizens.
  • To access the National Health System (with the local health card) and choose a general practitioner.
  • To obtain a driving license in Spain.
  • To register a marriage certificate or domestic partnership.
  • To carry out other administrative procedures, such as applying for grants and subsidies, applying for a residence permit, etc.

Important note:

Having the “padrón” (administrative record of inhabitants) does not make you a resident in all aspects, it only certifies your current address. That is why, in the case of European citizens, depending on the length of their stay in Spain, they will be obliged to obtain a document that includes a number with which the Spanish public administration can identify them. This number is called the NIE (Foreigner Identification Number). This number does not grant you any rights or duties, it simply identifies you to the public administration.

Requirements for applying for the padrón:

To be a person of legal age or a minor with emancipation (i.e. those persons under the legal age who acquire the legal capacity to make decisions and assume responsibilities as if they were adults).

Documentation to be submitted:

The documentation required to register in the register of inhabitants of Valencia varies depending on whether you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or a
foreigner outside the EU, and whether you are of legal age or a minor.

  • For EU or Spanish citizens: Passport/ DNI/ Spanish DNI or NIE.
  • For non-EU citizens: Passport and Residence Card.
  • Spanish telephone number.
  • The registration form can be downloaded from the Valencia City Council website.
  • Housing contract if you are the owner (original and copy) or current rental contract if you are a tenant of the housing/room, together with the latest utility bill or a bank transfer.
  • The contract for the flat if you are the owner (original and copy) or a valid rental contract if you are a tenant of the apartment/room, together with the latest utility bill or a bank transfer.
  • In case the rental contract is not in your name (e.g. if you live with students), an authorization form signed by the person in charge of the contract is required, with the original identification documents of this person.

All documents must be in Spanish

It is important to check the Valencia city council’s website or the Spanish consulate or embassy in the country of origin to obtain up-to-date and detailed information about the requirements and the process of registering on the population register.

Make an appointment to register in Valencia.

To obtain the census registration certificate in Valencia, it is necessary to make an appointment online. Here are the steps to do so:

  • Visit the Valencia city council website to make an appointment or by calling the citizen service telephone number 010/ 963100010/ 962081104. You can choose between Spanish and Valencian.
  • Select “PADRON CP” from the “Service and Centre” drop-down menu and choose the place where you would like to be attended.
  • Select the date and time of your appointment according to availability.
  • Enter your first name, last name, document type, document number, telephone number, and email address.
  • You will receive a confirmation of your appointment by email, print it out and bring it with you on the day of your appointment along with all the necessary documentation (original and copies).

Although you can handle the administrative procedures on your own, at La Llibreta we have qualified staff to perform the following procedures for you. Visit our page Administrative formalities REQUIRED to study in Spain to view our pricing options.


You may also be interested in:


Getting Around Valencia as a Student

Getting Around Valencia as a StudentValencia boasts a comprehensive and efficient public transportation system for getting around the city, which includes everything from the metro and buses to the tram and Valenbisi. Additionally, there's the option of moving around...

Understand and make the most of the weighting tables of Spanish universities. Course 2023-2024

This article provides a detailed guide on the weighting tables of Spanish universities to help you maximize your admission score. It explains concepts like admission score, cutoff score, and how they relate to weighting tables. Additionally, it provides direct and up-to-date links to the weighting tables for the 2023-2024 school year, organized by autonomous communities. Understanding how these tables work will help you efficiently choose the subjects for the entrance exams and maximize your admission score.

¿Necesitas ayuda?
Scan the code
Garantía de
Profesores altamente cualificados y experimentados