PCE Frequently asked questions

What are the PCE? (Specific Competency Exams)

The Specific Competency Exams (PCE) are exams carried out by UNEDassis for foreign students who want to study in a Spanish University.

Who are these exams for?

They are for International students (non-EU students or from countries having no educational agreement with Spain) whose studies can be recognised as equivalent to Spanish Bachillerato or for Spanish students who have studied or completed their studies in foreign centres associated with UNED.

Are all international students admitted to Spanish Universities in the same way?

No, they are not. It may change depending on the educational system of their country. It is different for European Union students than for other international students. For more information follow this link.

If you have further questions, you can check country specific information here.

What do I need to do if I am a student from a country within the European Union or that has an international agreement?

First, you should contact the university where you wish to study to confirm that they use UNEDasiss Accreditation in their admissions criteria.

Also, you should find out which courses are considered for the degree that you wish to pursue, consulting the weighted system of said university. After being confirmed, you must also validate your final mark of the Spanish bachillerato. The admission score will be calculated by UNED out of a maximum of 10 points.

Taking into account that Spanish universities weigh up to 14 points, it would be advisable to take the entrance examinations if they do not reach the minimum required.

What is the first thing you should do if you are not a student from one of the countries of the European Union or one that has an international agreement?

One of the mandatory procedures is the request for the HOMOLOGATION of your studies with the Spanish high school degree. This is done through the MINISTRY OF EDUCATION, CULTURE AND SPORTS. You may find information on this procedure at the following link: Homologación del Bachillerato.

Since the maximum you can get is a 6 out of 10, it is very important to do the PCE exams to be able to obtain up to 14 and compete equally with the rest of the candidates.

What do I have to do to enroll at university?

To enroll at the university one of the following requirements must be met:

  1. Certification of the university entrance certificate, as a result of the validation of the student’s bachillerato obtained in the country of origin.
  2. Certification of the marks obtained in examinations of subjects of the Specific Competency Exams (PCE) carried out at the UNED.
  3. Certification of qualifications obtained from external assessment tests carried out in the country of origin.
What is UNEDasiss Accreditation?

UNEDasiss Accreditation is a digital certificate that permits students to participate in the Spanish university admissions processes and that consists of the assessment of the academic transcripts obtained from the international education systems in a homogenous and regulated way. It also includes the scores from the Specific Competency Exams (PCE) taken at the UNED, as well as other services requested by the student.

What are the PCE ?

Students can select a maximum of 6 subjects according to the ones that weight the most in the university they want to enter. The official recommendation is to choose a minimum of 4 subjects. Here is the subject list. There is a test whose questions can be found in both Spanish and English. The exam questions have to be answered in Spanish.

Where can I see exams models?

In the following link you have examples of PCE exams by subject. Here you can find the didactic guides .

How is the admission score calculated?

You need to take this into account:


  • UNEDassis will give you a maximum score of 10 total points once you do the PCE exams.
  • Each university has its own weighting system, in some subjects you can get a higher score than others. Some are 0.2, others 0.1 and some do not grade directly. Here are the grades for the academic year 2019-2020. With this weighting system you can raise your grade to a maximum of 14 points.

We explain how:

The admission score from UNEDassis is obtained with:

    • 60% – A maximum weighting of 60% from the scores obtained on their academic transcript.
    • 40% – From the Specific Competency Exams (PCE taken at the UNED).

The formula to be applied is as follows:

Admission score = (0,2 x NMB + 4) + (0,1 x E1) + (0,1 x E2) + (0,1 x E3) + (0,1 x E4)

NMB= Mean grade from high school.
E= Mean score obtained in each Specific Competency Exam (PCE).

This formula will give us the total result over the 10 points indicated above. To obtain a score with a maximum of 14 points you have to multiply the two subjects with the highest qualification which weigh 0.2 according to the Spanish university you want to access.

All subjects can score up to 0.2 according to what each university determines except the subjects of Spanish Language and History that are not weighted as specific subjects.

dedo señalando Click on the following article to find out how to calculate your score.

When is the exam?

There are two calls each year. The first takes place during the months of May / June and the second in September.

The exact dates, the address of the examination centre and times will appear on the student’s application receipt when the payment of the corresponding fees is made.

What level of Spanish is recommended?

According to the European Language Reference Framework a minimum level of Spanish B1 is required, according to the European Language Reference Framework, in order to be able to access the preparation of these tests. It is possible to take an intensive Spanish course before starting the university preparation course. It is important to keep in mind that both the preparation course and the university classes will be in Spanish.

What subjects should I take?

This will depend on the degree you want to study and the university you want to attend. After that, you have to choose from an updated weighting table of subjects that weigh 0.2 (at least three subjects). Remember that it is recommended to choose at least 4 subjects.

If you have doubts do not worry, once you know which university you want to study in and what degree you want to do, we will help you to choose the recommended subjects to access your degree.

How can La Llibreta help me?

We have been successfully preparing the PCE for years and since January 2020 we have been a Collaborating Centre with UNED. We make the necessary arrangements for obtaining accreditations for international students so that they can apply for admission to Spanish universities.

The UNED is committed to La llibreta and therefore the Llibreta with its students to:

  • Provide information on the admission policies and requirements of undergraduate studies in Spanish universities.
  • Manage and report on the administrative procedures.
  • Inform of the results obtained in the PCE exams.
  • Report on any changes in admission policies and requirements to Spanish universities, as well as the examination models, programmes, contents, examination dates, etc.
  • Give the possibility of contacting the teacher staff that prepare and evaluate the tests in a timely manner.
  • Advice in case of complaints or review of exams.

In addition:

  • We have been assigned a manager of the UNED for the reception and verification of documentation, as well as the follow-up of our students and attention in any incidents that may arise.
  • La Llibreta takes part in a briefing on the most important news at the beginning of the school year as well as in the specific meetings by subject.

You may also like…


9 tips on how to write better essays

Most of our students find writing essays the most difficult part of an English exam. Follow this list of tips to learn how to successfully and confidently write your essay. 1. Manage your time effectively. You should spend: Planning - 10 minutes Writing - 30 minutes...

Garantía de
Profesores altamente cualificados y experimentados